30 Days (give or take a few) As an Assistant Principal

For the next month or so, I will be filling the role of assistant principal at the anonymous elementary school in a nameless town where I normally teach. My very real class at Anonymous Elementary is under the care of a substitute teacher, although I will be supervising her and assisting her as needed. Each weekday, I will post the highs (or lows) of the day in an effort to share my experience with you. Any names you read are changed to protect the guilty.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 3- Wednesday

Have you ever had one of those days when you were so busy you didn't even notice how long you had been working? You know what I'm talking about. The kind of day where an innocent looking child is sent to you for stabbing other kids in the neck with a spork and pretending it is a Taser? The kind of day where other children look you in the eye and lie about launching spitballs into the face of a sweet little girl? Come on, admit it. This kind of thing happens to you all the time. Doesn't it?

OK, maybe you're a cop and the Tasers you work with are real and your spitballs are bean bag pellets fired into unruly crowds. (Hey, that's not a bad idea.) Or maybe you work in a shoe store and your Tasers are smelly feet or ugly bunions. We all have Tasers and spitballs on our jobs. But do you have a joy buzzer?

Oh, yes. I said joy buzzer. You remember those wind up toys that buzz innocent victims when you shake their hands. I got one today from a cute little fourth grade girl. Actually, she's a good kid and goes to our church. As a matter of fact, I have to go and pick the kids up from church in a few minutes and you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna buzz that cute little fourth grade girl! Oh, how I love this job.

2 comments: