30 Days (give or take a few) As an Assistant Principal

For the next month or so, I will be filling the role of assistant principal at the anonymous elementary school in a nameless town where I normally teach. My very real class at Anonymous Elementary is under the care of a substitute teacher, although I will be supervising her and assisting her as needed. Each weekday, I will post the highs (or lows) of the day in an effort to share my experience with you. Any names you read are changed to protect the guilty.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 11 - Monday

Spring is not in the air. The first Monday back in the office after Spring Break got started with a soggy dose of rain. One of the usual side effects of rain is squirrelly children who are tired of being cooped up inside stuffy classrooms. Today, that effect was delayed. Perhaps it was due to the fact that the kids had been off school for a week and didn't mind the classrooms. Regardless of the reason, the morning was slow and the children somewhat angelic.

Since the morning was slow, I decided to go on the offensive. As recess rolled around, I sauntered onto the playground in an attempt to drum up some business. I scanned the scene and marveled to see that everyone seemed to be behaving. Oh well, there's always the first and second recess next. Then something caught my eye. Off to the west, I noticed three young men approaching me. Their hands were resting behind their backs and they stood straight and proud, their footsteps marching in a coordinated beat. These are the same fifth graders who had announced to me last week that their "days of misbehavior" were behind them. "Left, Left, Left, Right Left," one of them sang out. "Good morning, Mr. "The Office."

I returned their greeting, but eyed them with suspicion. I asked them if they were still interested in attending boot camp this summer. Based on their enthusiastic responses, I'd better see about finding a place that will take them. Given the rain, the kids were not aloud on the sand during recess, but it soon proved to great a temptation for my young recruits. Just a few feet away from me, the marching trio broke rank and, as if on cue, darted across the sand only to be busted by one of the playground supervisors on the other side. At least they are trying. This is an improvement.

Did I mention that the rain only served to delay the inevitable rather than eliminate it? By the time lunch was over, we were in full swing and kids were knocking on both the front and back doors of my office. The blissfully crazy afternoon was a welcome break from the monotony of the morning. Maybe tomorrow will start with a little more more enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment