30 Days (give or take a few) As an Assistant Principal

For the next month or so, I will be filling the role of assistant principal at the anonymous elementary school in a nameless town where I normally teach. My very real class at Anonymous Elementary is under the care of a substitute teacher, although I will be supervising her and assisting her as needed. Each weekday, I will post the highs (or lows) of the day in an effort to share my experience with you. Any names you read are changed to protect the guilty.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 12 - Tuesday

It’s not everyday that I have a really good idea, but today one of those brilliant notions came to me. Actually, it all started several years ago when a fellow teacher started running her class like a junior ROTC program. The students learn to march in formation and there is a heavy emphasis placed on leadership skills. During my current absence from the classroom, my substitute has used her military background to institute a regimented theme and the students have responded well.

When I received an e-mail from a parent who was concerned that her son was being bullied, I thought long and hard how to handle it. Of course, the bullies were from my own class, so I had dealt with this situation before. This time a new approach was needed. Since I had noticed these particular students thriving in a rigid military setting, I decided to speak their language.

I found the offending bullies on the playground during recess and, in a very precise military tone, ordered them to report to my office at once. Upon arrival, I handed each of them a notice entitled “Official Orders - Anonymous Elementary Military Corps.” The noticed included all of their names, preceded by their title: PFC. The memo also indicated that it had been drafted by General “The Office” himself.

Included in their orders was the duty to treat the bullied student with respect and to model for the other members of their platoon how to show respect. They were also instructed to report any incidents of disrespect toward the specified student in a timely manner.

By the end of the day, three additional students had volunteered to sign up for protection duty, bringing the total to six. I printed off additional copies of the orders and had the new recruits sign them as well.

For your reading pleasure (and in case you want to use it on a kid of your own), a copy of the order is included below:

---
Official Orders
Anonymous Elementary Military Corps



The following orders are issued to you by your commanding officer. You are to comply with the terms of these orders. Failure to comply will result in the disciplinary action including, but not limited to, loss of rank and dishonorable discharge.

Orders: Effective today, you are ordered to protect the livelihood and spirit of Les Picking, a member of your platoon. This includes refraining from physical or verbal threats or intimidation and refraining from teasing, mocking, or humiliating said person.

Your duty is to support and encourage the specified person by offering assistance as needed and by demonstrating an accepting attitude toward him, thereby showing others how to treat members of their platoon.

It is your further duty to confront those who violate Les Picking's well-being. Any confrontation with an offender must be limited to a verbal conversation intended to show the offender the worth of the subject. Should further offenses occur, it is your duty to report the offender to your commanding officer in a timely manner.

You are to report on the status of these orders to General "The Office" during your recess break each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment