30 Days (give or take a few) As an Assistant Principal

For the next month or so, I will be filling the role of assistant principal at the anonymous elementary school in a nameless town where I normally teach. My very real class at Anonymous Elementary is under the care of a substitute teacher, although I will be supervising her and assisting her as needed. Each weekday, I will post the highs (or lows) of the day in an effort to share my experience with you. Any names you read are changed to protect the guilty.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 19 - Thursday

Today my mind kicked into gear long before I even got to school. For the last several weeks I have been contemplating one of the great mysteries of life. There is a long chain of events that started this thought process, so I will try to explain it in an effort to help you understand my perspective.

The first link on the chain dates back about 6 months to when my wife discovered the thrills of extreme coupon shopping. Since that time she has been coming home with various bargains that quite often cost her nothing. About a month ago, she announced that I was no longer allowed to use the bar of soap in the shower because she had gotten a lifetime supply of men's body wash for next to nothing. So now, despite the fact that my bar of soap still sits in the shower, I dutifully use the complimentary, yet highly scented, men's body wash.

Every morning as I enjoy the excessively warm water in my shower, I contemplate the vast array of smells that gets poured onto me each day. Let's start with the shave. Why do I need smells mixed with my shaving cream? It really doesn't matter since the men's body wash covers up the smell anyway. Then I get out of the shower and apply a liberal dose of deodorant which is designed to overpower the body wash. Later, I add a small pile of gel to my hair that mixes with the deodorant and body wash that still lingers to create a potpourri of olfactory sensation.

Just when I think I can't stand being around myself anymore, I reach for the toothpaste to add just a hit of mint to mix. What the product developers in product-land don't realize is that all men really want to smell like is a mesquite grill or fried bacon. What kind of man wakes up each morning and says to himself, "What kind of chemically induced, societally mandated, artificial smells can I mix together today to make me smell like things I don't even like?" Perhaps the man in skinny jeans, but not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment