30 Days (give or take a few) As an Assistant Principal

For the next month or so, I will be filling the role of assistant principal at the anonymous elementary school in a nameless town where I normally teach. My very real class at Anonymous Elementary is under the care of a substitute teacher, although I will be supervising her and assisting her as needed. Each weekday, I will post the highs (or lows) of the day in an effort to share my experience with you. Any names you read are changed to protect the guilty.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 13 - Wednesday

It's been a long day. I know that because a) I'm tired and b) the first thing my wife said to me when I got home was, "If you could take the kids for just one hour all would be right in the world." I complied and this was the result: One dad, two dogs, one stroller, two bikes, and a tricycle. Now picture this: All four kids and the two dogs each have their own unique pace. Oh well, they all know where the park is. They'll probably make it.

I think I know why I am so tired today. It really has nothing to do with school. It has to do with that darn book. You know the one that I was almost finished with for three nights in a row and kept staying up later than I should trying to get it done. Well, it's done and the bad guy is dead. Now I have to resume the "Non Fiction, Make Myself a Better Person" book I started before I started the novel with the dead bad guy. For some reason dead bad guys are easier to read.

As for the school day, it started with a bang. First thing this morning I held a meeting with an eight-year-old, his mom, and his teacher to implement a behavior plan. The plan actually mentioned that the kid is not allowed to threaten to kill people anymore. He agreed and signed his name on the dotted line. He even upheld his end of the bargain... until lunch.

Next I called a parent and gave her the option of having her kid kicked off the bus for a week or serving a one day school suspension. Mom chose the suspension as long as we sent a huge pile of work so the kid wouldn't have time to play. Again, I complied. You should have seen his backpack.

More to come tomorrow. I get to meet with parents of the habitually truant. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment